Portable Hard Disk
A pocket size storage device, which is connected to the computer or a laptop via a USB cable. Available in 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch in size.
- Interface : Portable hard disk are compatible with USB 2.0 interface and some with both USB 2.0 and 3.0 but commonly used interface is USB 2.0. Drives with USB 3.0 supports 10 times high speed data rate transfer compare to USB 2.0.
- Storage capacity : Ranges from 160 GB to 1 TB (1 TB = 1024 GB).
- Non-volatile storage : Contents of the drives are not lost when removed from the USB port or power is turned off.
- Rotating speed : Ranges from 5400 to 7200 RPM (Rotations Per Minute) or more. Higher the RPM the faster data can be read to increase performance of system.
- Supports plug-n-play, hot-swappable, and hot-pluggable making the hard drive convenient and easy to use.
- Does not require any extra power supply because required power is drawn from the USB.
- Compatible with all versions of operating system like Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Cost is high compare to regular hard disk.
- Separate secure storage.
- As a backup solution.
- As a disk cloning.
- Data recovery.
- Transferring of data from one PC to another.
- Maximum storage capacity
- Rotational speed
- Large buffer or cache
- Plug n Play facility
- Recovery features