Router is internetwork connecting device that determines most efficient path for sending a data packet to any given network.
- Used to connect two or more similar or dissimilar topological LANs or WLANs
- Shares available bandwidth with multiple computers in a network.
- Provides a better protection as a hardware firewall against hacking.
- Routers are intelligent enough to determine shortest and fastest path from source to destination in a network using algorithms.
- Operates at network layer of OSI model.
- Wireless routers are now widely used in home and offices as they allow a user to connect easily without installing any cables.
Types based on defining paths
- System administrator defines the shortest path in the network by executing commands.
- Have some limitations and not that much effective than dynamic router.
- Router itself determines the shortest path between the computers in the network.
- System administrator doesn't need to interact with router that saves time and cost.
- This types of routers are used in greater extend compare to static router.
- Wired routers
- Wireless routers
- Change the default administrator password.
- Deny access to unauthorized user.
- Block ICMP ping request.
- Block IP multicast, if no need.
- Turn on log on router for error messages.