Gateway is a network point that act as entry point to other network and translates one data format to another.
Following are some common functions of the gateway :
- Protocol translation : translates protocol format into required protocol format of the network, such as X.25 to TCP/IP.
- Network address translation : translates your public IP address to the private IP addresses on your network.
- DHCP service : automatically assigns IP address to a computer from a defined range of addresses for a given network.
- Monitoring and regulating each packet entering and leaving the network.
- To route the traffic from one network to another.
- To connect LAN to WAN or VPN (Virtual Private Network).
- Acts as a proxy server and firewall server to protect from virus, malware and harmful attacks.
- To keep history of accessed website, bandwidth usage, timing of each user of the network in a database.
Speed up your gateway
- Add more RAM.
- Defragment the hard drive.
- Free up some space.
- Increase network connection speed.