Refers to the way the devices are connected by a link. A link is physical or wireless connection between one or more devices.
- Dedicated link between two devices.
- Whole capacity of the channel is reserved.
- Uses actual length of wire or cable to connect two ends.
- Microwave or satellite links can be established.
Connection of devices in mesh topology.
Connection between remote control and operating device such as CD player, television set, home theater etc.
- More than two devices share the same link.
- Capacity of channel is shared spatially or temporarily.
- Allows broadcasting packets over the network.
- Each device is able to communicate with each other.
A radio station.
Point-to-point is also referred as leased line, which provides high speed internet connection over the internet.