- Device that prints text and graphics in the same format and shape which is displayed on the screen connected via printer cable or USB cable.
- Transforms digitally stored documents, graphics, text data on paper/hard copy.
- Speed of printer is measured in printed pages per minute.
- Printers can be shared in the LAN, Wireless networks or Ethernets.
- New types of printers are combined with printing, scanning and fax in a single unit.
Types of Modern Printers
Sprays small droplets of ink at high speed on the surface.
They are reliable, quick, and inexpensive.
1) Continuous Flow:
- Produces continues flow of stream droplets by spraying ink out of the nozzle.
- Stream of ink is broken down into droplets of ink using ultrasonic waves.
- When ink is desired on the medium, only selected droplets are electro statically charged.
- Deflection plates are used to direct the ink onto the medium.
- Remaining ink which is not required is sent back to reservoir through gutter.
2) Drop on demand:
- Ink is sprayed from the nozzle when it is required.
- Ink is fired on medium pressure with the help of piezoelectric crystal.
- When sufficiently high voltage is applied the piezoelectric crystal expands.
- This minimizes the volume of the ink chamber and vice versa for low voltage.
- Color printers consists of three nozzles each for one basic color.
Uses laser beam to produce images with excellent text and graphics.
Used in high quality outputs.
- Consists of drum which is coated with a photo conductive material.
- As drum rotates the coating on drum gets electrically charged.
- Drum remains charged until it is struck by laser light.
- When laser light falls on drum it selectively discharges some area of the drum.
- This forms a negative image on the drum.
- Position of laser light is maintained by rotating polygonal mirror.
- Toner is a black plastic base ink powder.
- This powder gets attracted to the charged areas on the drum.
- Image on the drum is transferred to oppositely precharged paper.
- Toner is fused to the paper by hearing and applying pressure to form a permanent image.
Add and connect a printer in a network
- First install your printer on any computer in the network.
- Enable printer sharing on the network
- Give name for sharing the printer.
- Know the computer name, which you have installed printer.
- Open control panel and click on printers and other hardware.
- Click on add printer
- Now choose network printer instead of local printer.
- Next to select browse for printer option
- Select the computer which you have installed the printer