- Device used to scan text documents, images, objects and convert it into digital image.
- Scanning technology that converts physical image, text into digital image file on the computer.
- Scans light and dark area as well as color on scanned document.
- After scanning these images can be printed on paper or stored on storage devices.
- 3D Scanner also exist but cost is high.
Types & Working
- Consists of glass pane under which there is bright light.
- This bright light illuminates the pane and a moving optical array in Charge Couple Device (CCD) scanning.
- CCD type scanners contains three rows of sensors with red, green ,blue filters.
- Contact Image Sensor (CIS) scanning consists of moving set of red, green blue LED's strobed.
- LED's are used for illumination and a connected monochromatic photodiode array of light collection.
- Images are kept on face down of the glass an opaque cover is lowered over it.
- Sensor array and light source move across the pane for reading the area.
- An image is therefore visible to detector because of light it reflects.
- It is some what difficult to scan transparent images.
- Converting text and graphics based document into digital image file.
- Converting Object into graphic image file.
- To display, print on paper and store for later use.
- Handheld device that slides across the text, image and object directly.
- Scanning images requires steady hand or uneven scanning would create distorted image.
- Most scanners produced light from an array of green LED's to illuminate the image.
- Can save more than 100 images at a time.
- Perfect for travelling users to scan text, graphics, objects etc.
- Also helpful for students and researchers to record information.
Tips for scanning photos
- Remove dust and scratches from the photo.
- Fine tune your scanner settings.
- Customize your scanner button shortcuts
- Choose the right resolution and file format.
- Position your photo at proper place.
- Scan several photos at once.
- Crop your photo to size.