- Commonly used input device to enter text.
- Contains various types of keys such as alphanumeric, punctuation and special keys.
- Alphanumeric keys - letters and numbers.
Punctuation keys - comma, semicolon, point so on..
Special keys - function keys, control keys, navigation keys so on..
- Control keys that can performs an action(function), when held in combination with another key such as ctrl + a.
- Various layouts are ABCDE, XPeRT, QWERTY and AZERTY but QWERTY and AZERTY are commonly used.
- Wide range of keyboard designs are available such as traditional, ergonomic, folding etc.
- Connecting ways of keyboard are serial port, usb port and wirelessly.
- Every character typed from keyboard is sensed as keystroke by the CPU.
- These keystrokes deposits a scan code which are stored in keyboard interface chip to have synchronization between keyboard and CPU.
- CPU processes these keystrokes and results the output in the form of display or command.
- Shift + Delete = Deletes the selected file or folder permanantly without placing in the recycle bin.
- Ctrl + Shift while dragging an item = Creates shortcut of selected item
- Alt + Enter = Shows properties of selected item.
- Alt + Spacebar = Opens the shortcut menu for the active window.
- Alt + Tab = Switches between the open applications.
- Ctrl + Esc = Opens Start menu.
- Holding shift while inserting CD = Prevents the CD from automatically playing.
- Windows logo button + Break = Displays System properties dialog box.
- Windows logo button + D = Shows the desktop.
- windows logo button + M = Minimizes all windows.
- windows logo button + E = Opens My computer.
- Windows logo button + F = Searches for file and folder.
- Windows logo button + L = Logoff the current user.
- Windows logo button + R = Opens run dialog box.
- Windows logo button + F1 = Opens Windows help.
- Ctrl + Windows logo button + F = Searches for computer in the network.
- F2 = To Rename selected item.
- F3 = Search for file or folder.
Did you know, why bank website provides on-screen keyboard.
Becasue when you type your username and password via keyboard, these keystrokes can be caught by malicious viruses on your computer and then send to unknow user (hacker).