- Use to measure the current, voltage, resistance, impedance, power etc.
- Instruments that indicates the magnitude of quantity by pointing pointer, moving over a graduated scale called as analogue instruments.
- Instruments that indicates the magnitude of quantity in decimal number called as digital instruments.
Typical types of instruments
- It can measure voltage, resistance, current, impedance, capacitance, frequency etc.
- It uses LCD display to show exact reading values.
- Allows you to select the function you want to measure.
- Compact and handy.
- It is simplest and cheapest measuring instrument.
- Some instruments have auto power off function.
- Displays a graph of varying voltage against time.
- Waveform shapes tells you the changes in the signal.
- Signal to be measured is fed through input connector.
- Display panel consists of CRT tube or LCD.
- Modern oscilloscopes are light weight and portable.
- A medical researcher uses an oscilloscope to measure brain waves.
- Use to generate patterns of voltage against variety of amplitudes and frequencies.
- Allows users to choose the shape of patterns like sine, square, triangle etc.
- Generally used in testing and repairing electronic components.
Measuring safety precautions
- Before started using it, read the manual available with it.
- Never apply power to the circuit while measuring resistance with a multimeter.
- Observe the reading properly, when using it.
- When you are finished using it, switch it OFF.
As incorrect use of measuring instrument may cause injury or damage.