Adders are digital circuits that can perform binary addition. Similarly subtractors are digital ciruits that can perform binary subtraction. Both are classified into half and full adders and subtractors.
Types of Adders
- Logic circuit that can add two binary digit 0 and 1.
- Results into sum of two inputs and carry value.
- Constructed using XOR and AND gate.
- XOR gate output is the sum and AND gate output is the carry.
- Logic circuit that can add 3 binary digits at a time.
- Half adder has no provision to add a carry but full adder has the provision.
- Constructed by using AND, OR and XOR gates.
- Output from XOR gate is the sum and OR gate output is the carry.
More complex adders
- Ripple carry adder
- Carry look-ahead adder
- Look-ahead carry adder