Types of Computers
Types of computers are based upon the purpose, functioning and size of the computer. Accordingly they are classified into four types:
- Super computers
- Mainframe computers
- Mini computers
- Micro computers
- Most powerful computers characterized as fastest, very high processing speed and of large data storage.
- Specifically used for complex applications by big organization.
- Good example is NASA and ISRO uses supercomputers to track and control space discovery.
- Capable of performing high processing speed and data storage but not powerful as super computers.
- Wired in air-conditioned rooms.
- Example: ISP providers use mainframe computers to process information about millions of internet users.
- Less processing speed than mainframe computers.
- Departments of large company's uses this type of computers.
- They can handle large database and accounting efficiently.
- Example: Department of computer monitoring the network traffic of whole company.
- Least powerful type of computers but are the most widely used and growing in the fastest rate.
- Hardware peripherals can be attached easily.
- Includes Desktop computers, Laptops, tablet pc's, Personal Digital Assistants(PDA) etc.
Buying new/used computer
- Processor: 64 bit with 2 GHz clock or more
- RAM: 2 GB or more
- Hard disk: 320 GB or more
- Monitor: 17 inch or more
- Operating System: Linux or Windows
- Software: Driver CD and free antivirus
- Get all these information from various vendors and choose the best one, which is of high configuration and low price.
- Verify any physical damage inside and outside the cabinet.
- Check all specifications provided to you are correct.
- Take drivers CD's and warranty receipt if available.
- At last is to check, whether all things are working properly.